Half the Sky: Women Artists in China
IN STOCK: Ships Australia-wide in 1-3 days.
International Shipping available at check out.
- Luise Guest
- 2016 Hardcover
- 24cm W x 28.5cm H
The first and only Australian book on contemporary Chinese women artists.
Artists in China are producing some of the most interesting and compelling contemporary art of our time. This book presents thirty-two women artists working China today. It was Chairman Mao who said, 'Women hold up half the sky.' Author and Director of Education and Research at the White Rabbit Gallery, Luise Guest, believes 'contemporary art in China is unlike anything in the rest of the world.' The artists include:-
- Bu Hua, whose alter ego dresses as a schoolchild of the revolutionary past in a red Young Pioneer scarf and short skirt to represent contemporary female experience (see cover image).
- Bingyi, whose vast ink paintings become immersive, site-specific installations.
- Yu Hong, whose contemporary figures float on backgrounds of gold leaf
- Qin Fengling, who squeezes thousands of figures from her paint tubes
- Lin Tianmiao, Yin Xiuzhen, Gao Rong and Cao Fei who have been included in recent Moscow and Venice Biennales.